<$BlogRSDURL$>

Come discuss the 2008 Beijing Summer games with a couple of fanatics!

Saturday, August 14, 2004


Observations of the Opening Ceremony by an American Couch Potato

OK, first I must admit that I did not see all the opening ceremony and I saw the first 45 minutes with no sound at a sushi bar. That said, here are some comments:

1) Why was there a little boy in an origami hat sailing across the man-made lake in the stadium? I didn't know that Greece was known for their origami.

2) I didn't know the concept of "carousel" from Logan's Run had come to life in Europe! Were those all the athletes past 35 flying into the air?

3) Was the guy dancing on the giant white cube an homage to Bjork's old band, Sugar Cubes?

4) Could Bob Costas shut the hell up for 30 seconds in a row? Jeez! Your jokes are lame Bob. Why not let us here some of the actual staduim sounds?

5) That was some massive spliff being lit up for the Rastafarian Olympics! Oh sorry, that was the Olympic flame.

6) Loved the parade of nations but Hellooooo NBC! Could we see more than 2 countries before another extended commercial break? That was incredibly annoying.

OK, seriously, I thought the Opening Ceremonies were beautifully done. I wish I had seen them all. If you would like an actual spectator's view on the ceremonies, check out this blog by 3 Greek guys who attended in person.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com